Sunday, February 27, 2011

why i love relief society ...

I am finally going to admit that ...
OK OK I know it sounds a bit lamo to say "I admit" here... BUT I can remember when I felt like I didn't belong in Relief Society... that I didn't have anything in common with the sisters... that I didn't feel like hearing what all those women have to say.  Obviously... these feelings were a long time ago... BUT days like today I feel like I need to give a shout out to Relief Society!! 

So why do I love Relief Society? 

Whoaday Haylie... back up the train! 
What is Relief Society?  
Well... {eh hem} In the Church of Jesus Christ as Latter Day Saints the women are a part of this organization called Relief Society.   It was divinely inspired to be organized by some of the first leaders of the restoration of Christ's gospel in the 1800's.  It is a place for women to increase faith and righteousness, strengthen families and homes, and seek out and help those in need.  

I absolutely love being able to participate in this wonderful organization.

Together as women we really do increase our faith in Jesus Christ and His Gospel.  We have so many opportunities to serve each other and to serve those who are around us.  I know I have personally looked to soo many of the women in this organization as they inspire me in so many ways.  I can't even count the many things that I have learned just by attending my Relief Society Meetings on a regular basis.  I am constantly moved by the sweet spirit that is felt during our Sunday lesson's.  Most of the time I am moved to tears.  

Anyone who really knows me as a person knows that there are 2 things that make me choke up ALL the time 
1 - When I feel the spirit 
2 - My family 

We have lived in our ward now for almost 5 years.  Out of that 5 years I have served as a Relief Society Secretary for almost 3 years {not consecutive tho} 
I am currently serving as Secretary to the Relief Society and I absolutely love it!  I am busy, but I prefer to live life that way.  Every Sunday I have the opportunity to welcome new sisters into our ward, comfort friends, and listen to some of the most inspired lessons that I have ever heard.  I get to sit among the sweet presidency as they sincerely go before Heavenly Father for sisters who may be struggling.  I get to witness so many miracles!  

I don't just get this privilege because of my calling... any sister in our ward or around the world could witness the same things that I do.  Its a matter of perception... opening our eyes to more than just OUR OWN worlds, being in tune with promptings that are divinely inspired, and practicing our own faith.  

Sometimes I wonder how many sisters might feel how I felt several years ago.   

I do know that as we put our selves out there and really open our hearts and minds we WILL feel the love that Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ have for us as we attend our relief society meetings every week.   I can personally say that whenever I miss a Sunday because of sickness or vacations... I feel so empty.  I love the rejuvenating powers that Relief Society has.  If any sister or woman is feeling like maybe they don't belong... You should call me and we should talk.  OR you should get down on your knees and sincerely pray that you might have the spirit with you as you attend your next Relief Society Meeting... 

I know that this organization was divinely inspired for many reasons and that the words that are taught or shared during these meetings come from the Spirit of the Lord.   
 

3 comments:

Lindsi Jo said...

I agree with you on Relief Society, I always have enjoyed going and hearing the comments made..... but the one thing that I avoid like the plague happened today (in a major way) & I have to admit that it pretty much horrified me! Oh how I hate that more than anything!

Scott and Karin said...

you're the best...around! =)

Jordan said...

Thanks for this, Haylie. I enjoyed it.