Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Smoothie = YUM...

For the past 5 years Logan has been trying to get me to try this smoothie that he made almost everyday while on his mission... 

So I gave in and tried it... FINALLY!  =)

Ingredients..
- 1 banana
- 1 orange
- 1 apple
- 1 tomatoe
- a few strawberries
- 2 carrots
- 1/2 beet {if you really love beets you can do a whole}
- 1/2 cup of strawberry yogurt
- 1 to 1 1/2 cup of orange juice

obviously if you want to add other ingredients such as blackberries, raspberries, peaches, broccoli, or spinach you can... 

I know the vegetables sound weird and its not going to be as sweet as the smoothies at the smoothie shacks, but its super healthy

Give it a try and let me know how you like it.  Or if you mix a few other things let me know!



ps... sorry about my April Fool's post!  LOL.   I couldn't resist! 

5 comments:

Jennifer Zollinger said...

you need to try the shake that I make with the spinach leaves, bananas, strawberries, flaxseed and vanilla soy milk. It's really good a healthy too!

Lindsi Jo said...

I do a cup of grapes, 1 apple, 1 banana, apple juice, water, vanilla yogurt and pack the rest of the blender with spinach. I want to do carrots but I am not sure how to get them to blend well.

love birds and a few chicklets said...

Jen... I know I know! =) I told Logan that I think I want to do a variety of smoothies... every few days or something. Plus, I dont know much about flax seed, but Logan said it was very high in fat. Any thoughts??

Lindsi.. so I wondered what I could do to the carrots to help them blend up better myself. I wonder if steaming them the night before would help soften them so that they would blend better. Any Thoughts??

Jennifer Zollinger said...

Flax seed may be high in fat but it's high in fiber and has omega 3 fatty acid which is super good for you and found in fish, so if you don't like fish flax seed is a good substitute. I went to google to see the benefits of flax seed and it says that it helps lower cholesterol and this: Researches reveal that lignan in flax seed shows a lot of promise in fighting disease -- including a possible role in cancer prevention especially breast cancer. It is thought that lignan metabolites can bind to estrogen receptors, hence inhibiting the onset of estrogen-stimulated breast cancer.

It also says that you can substitute flax seed for eggs when baking (1 tbsp milled flax seed, plus 3 tbsp water = 1 egg).

There you go...

Desirae Nicholas said...

I didn't know that you could post a comment if you didn't have a blog....... That is all!